August 22, 2018

All Collectible Enamel Pins Are Trash and I Hate Them!

courtesy of kidrobot
Here's a thought that's been in my head for a while now, and I haven't really done a straight-up straight-shootin' opinion piece in a while, so here goes.  Ruined by the title, as soon as you visited the website, here are my thoughts on collectible enamel pins and why I think they are garbage.  Actually, those are my thoughts.  Here is my elaboration.

I am rather sure I was not in on the ground level for the great keshi resurgence some years ago.  I know this from reading forums and other blogs, telling almost the exact event or a couple that domino'ed the keshi format back into everyone's consciousness and wallets, years before it's growing tendrils drew me back in through a net of nostalgia.  Maybe there has always been some keshi interest from collectors and fans, dawning back to their creation in the 80's, but maybe it's nothing more than powerful toy trend now, rekindling everyone's fondness of childhood toys.  It certainly blew up a few years ago, that's for sure, especially when it comes from independent artists and bootleggers.  A couple years into the bursting reemergence of keshi figures, another trinket of 80s nostalgia began finding interest among the same crowd.

Although I was there to bare witness it's birth, in some sense, my absolute lack of interest leaves me clueless what festering chasm enamel pins were squirted from.  All I remember, is that pins started to be freebie items included with your main purchase, like a sticker pack at the bottom of a cereal box.  As time grew, people seemed more and more interested in them, sharing opinions of quality and design, while I couldn't be bothered to give a single crap.

Maybe it was Loot Crate.  They eventually replaced their monthly button pins with equally uninteresting enamel ones, and people loved it, or so the legend is told to my deaf ears.

Like keshi, I am sure, enamel pins were hitting a demographic that enjoyed them when they were much younger.  I just never had that experience or enjoyed it, I suppose.  Pins!  Great!  I can... pin them... to my clothes or other fabrics... or accidentally puncture my flesh with them!  Great times!  Yeah, I can't pull a single exciting memory out of my head about enamel pins.  I can't find a particular function now for myself now, unless this toy blogging gig stirs up the ladies into a spider-loving frenzy, wild enough I'll have to implore some enamel repellent.

Pins are dumb.  It's two dimensional art you hang up so others can gawk at, instead of yourself, unless you're the type to constantly look at your cool jean jacket from above for reasons.  Also, there are parts that can fall off, get lost, or just straight-up get mauled in the washing machine and dryer.

Pins are also dumb because they had the audacity to ride keshi's growing popularity like parasite and share it's admiration and spotlight from collectors.  That's probably what cheeses my taco the most.  Is keshi any less popular?  No, but they are unwelcome and should go bug sofubi or something.

Go home, enamel pins, nobody likes garbage like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment