October 22, 2018

Rebranding Announcement and Rambling!

Oh no!  What is even happening?!?!?!
Hello former-Keshi Droppers, welcome back to the blog!  As I am sure everyone will notice, things look a bit different around here, none of which will come to any surprise to some of you, but hopefully its nothing too too shocking for everyone else.  It's certainly something that's been in the works for a while now, and now seemed like a great time to do it.

I started this blog a few years ago, thanks because of a move.  I was stuck with my girlfriend in the upstairs guestroom of her mother's place, with space at a premium to say the least.  I had found a vending machine at a local grocery store offering tiny plastic wrestlers, and because they were both very cheap and very small, they stood beside me along the desk during the do-nothing nights at the in-laws surfing the web.  It's around then I found the designer toy scene and the resurgence of  what I would learn to be keshi minifigures.  A year or so later, I would start this blog, just as a private place to jot down my thoughts and opinions, where I thought they were a bit too fringe and stupid to share on a public forum.  It didn't take long to find my private place to be pretty public too, but in time, I accepted it and enjoy sharing this space with everyone that drops by.

I bring this up because I am amidst another move.  How annoying!  But that's the life you live until you buy your own house and lay down the roots, I suppose.  A spider can dream.  The situation has definitely changed, with Spider Baby joining us for this new adventure, but my thoughts are brought back to the small, the unarticulated, and the rubbery once again.

So why not turn the page now, right?  I think, or rather hope, I remembered bringing this up once to twice before in previous posts, hopefully more than a passing mention, but if I know my mind, I'm sure it swirled around my head enough that it convinced me it reached my keyboard.  I apologize if it never did.  Regardless, here is my reasoning, if it's required.  The name Keshi Drop or The Keshi Drop is dumb and barely makes no sense, even if you're in the know of the keshi collecting scene.  It's largely inspired by the moment something becomes available like a new album or toy, which cool kids call drops.  After learning these minifigures I really enjoy were once made from a Japanese eraser material called keshigomu or keshi for sort, for some otherworldly reason those two interesting words joined together, sounded neat at the time, and I ran with it for a few years.  I've never been called out on it either.  No one has ever said that the name was dumb and made no sense.  Bizarre, but that goes to show how nice and accepting people are in this toy collecting community.

The new name, 'Unarticulated & Rubbery', is a mouthful, but perfect to my sensibilities at this moment.  Everyone that clicks on knows what they are getting into from the very second the page loads up.  No barfing spider.  No crazy colors.  Stripped down and easy to get into for anyone, new or old, to whatever the hell we do here.

Also, I want to make this mention as well.  As perfect as 'Unarticulated & Rubbery' is, it is not mine.  I was going through my Instagram feed, as one does, and a picture of the recently reviewed Imaginext Muscle Men caught my eye.  "I didn’t expect to like these, but I love them - unarticulated and rubbery!"  I agreed with the caption, but the last bit stuck with me, and stuck with me, until I knew I had to reach out and ask for permission to rip him the hell off.  So, thank you, General Veers with University of Muscle, for lending me your charming phrase for this new phase and rebranding of my blog.  Please find his website's link below and show some support!

On top of that, I also want to thank my friend Jim who re-imagined some stills I had sent him of some Kinnikuman figures.  Again, with the rebranding, I didn't want to muddy up any imagery, so MUSCLE and Kinniuman was most definitely going to be at the top of the page this time, and he did a stellar job bringing all that to life.  He's a promising artist that would love to do stuff like this full-time, so please visit his site as well and give him love!

Alright, everyone, I think that's it for this time.  I don't think the site has fully changed over to it's new-new look quite yet, but it's certainly different enough now to let everyone know what's happening.  That will happen eventually with some new posts, but in the meanwhile thank you for popping in for this announcement.


No comments:

Post a Comment