September 13, 2018

Imaginext Series 11 Muscle Men Review! Bonus SpiderBaby!

If you're ever doubting just how much of an American staple MUSCLE were in the 80's, of course you can make note of it's present day reassurance for vintage and new products with collectors, but also, it's homages within bootlegs and production.

One such finds themselves within the blind bags of Imaginext Series 11.  Standing to scale with the rest of their Imaginext brethren, the duo of Muscle Men stands quite a bit taller, and overall larger, than their classic counterparts, but nothing about it feels wrong.  I've been stricter in the past, railing some mini-figures for size, materials used, or anything else not adhering to the keshi code, but holding them in my hand, I am a lost of venom and harsher critique.

I sit and wonder what could have loosened my grip from winging these two into the ocean, like I virtually did in my last review, and I think I have a conclusion.  What I've reasoned is that these are not MUSCLES or keshi figures produced by a different company.  This is Fisher-Price paying respects to a grand classic by taking one of their action figures and giving it the Kinkeshi twist.  It's the muscle-flesh tone, the rubbery flexibility, almost complete lack of paint or sticker application, and inarticulation, despite what the sculpt may perceive, that really stand out as important factors and details when considering keshi.

Did Fisher-Price make a perfect keshi figure?  No, but I don't think they attempted to.  Fisher-Price, however, knows exactly what a keshi figure is, and I think that's worth a few bonus points.

Coming close to the end of this calendar year, I might just be claiming these two from Imaginext might be the best you can do for your buck this year.  Don't miss these!  Provided its a lucky pull in a blind bag, this set is only five clams and an absolute steal, even if you pay double that or more otherwise in auction or on forums.

As a bonus, and maybe something that contributed to my glowing praise a bit, is my son's review of these Muscle Men.  Within moments, Spiderbaby the bucket monster was clashing, gnawing, and tossing these guys around.  The are both likely lost and only he knows of their mysterious location now.


No comments:

Post a Comment