March 12, 2019

Gluppix the Arouser Mini-figure Review!

How's it going, everyone, and welcome back to the Unarticulated & Rubbery blog!  It's felt like forever since my last entry, maybe because it has been, and that's sucks.  I am sorry, but let's continue.

Can I express how amazing of a place Instagram is for keshi mini-figures right now?  I'm sure like all social media platforms, it'll run it's course, run itself into the ground, and stick around as a empty hollow husk of its former self far longer than it has any business, but right now, at this moment, it seems like the to-go place for the hottest and latest independent releases and news.  Every time I scroll through my feed, there always seems to be more and more mini-figures coming out from new and interesting faces.  Frankly, even if I had the free time I once had, it would still be a daunting task to cover it all, buy it all, and support it all, but if you're not already there, I suggest you pop over and give it your go.

But speaking of scrolling through the endless sea of Instagram's mini-figures, I did come across one piece that peaked my interest.  Canadian cartoonist, Scott Diggs, released a mini-figure called Gluppix the Arouser.  Coming up two inches or so, gooey, and brightly colored, Gluppix checks all the immediate boxes, so I figured he would a perfect fit for long-awaited return to the blog.

It, in a lot of way, reminded me of our friend Bukkake from Fint Toys, in that sort of dripping slime monster design, but it was smaller and not produced by the same cast of indie characters we've come to expect.  So maybe a cousin or a brother from another mother, I thought?  Maybe some compare and some contrast, as unfair as that may be, considering there really may be no relation whatsoever?

I received this pink goo-ball inside a bad with header, providing some humorous backstory and lore, as well as some extra fun art for when he's done hanging around the shelf.  It was all great and good, but let's get into what everyone wants to know.  How does the Arouser stack up?

Right out of the gate, the scale on this one is spot-on.  He mingles just fine with other classics.  Not too big, not too small, and his firmness is right there as well.  No god-awful paint applications.  Just a nice, basic, keshi mini-figure like a purist like me would appreciate.  However, my photo above won't really assist me with some of other criticisms.  There were some surface bubbles in the fingertips in my figure.  Largely I think that's not much of an issue, but where that one reaching arm is the single action-like appendage it has, it was a little disappointing.  Following that was the lack of definition in the sculpt.  Again, maybe it was just mine, but I really wanted the flowing drips, facial features, and the random trash items arranged around his body, to really pop out, but they were sort of too smooth for what I hoped.

But I'm not saying it was a complete flop.  I actually still very much liked the fig.  I would consider myself a fan now and keep my ear open for any new releases coming down the pipe.  A home-run out of the park?  No, but it's still worth the clams and the look-see if you're interested.  Follow the link below for more!

 https://scottdiggs.storenvy.com/

https://www.instagram.com/scottdiggs/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment