May 15, 2016

Spooked Out: Ghostbusters Ecto Minis Three Packs!

Hey, everyone!  Welcome back to Keshi Drop!  I know it's been some time away from all this.  Maybe it's been an anxious summer feeling or a slow keshi season, but rest assured, I am far from closing the book here.  Just figure with any sort of big news, I'll be here to state my opinions on the matter, and that's exactly what we're looking at today!

A new Ghostbusters movie is scheduled to be hitting theaters later this year and there has been all sorts of torches and pitchforks about it.  I don't know and I'll be honest, I try to avoid trailers and all that, but the one I did see wasn't catastrophic, at least in my opinion.  Crazy Uncle SpiderEarth here might be the only person looking forward to the movie, but what else is new than my team of me, myself, and I?  But let's circumvent all that, I'm not really speaking about the movie or trailers today.  Keshi Drop is looking at the new Ghostbusters Ecto Minis that has been catching everyone's attention.

Mattel, the makers of the line, has made one good move out of the gate.  Ecto Minis are broken into two releases: the classic movie cast and the new movie cast coming out later.  If you prefer the classic line, your minis will be in the black blind bags and packaging.  If you're into the new movie, you'll be hunting for the slimy green stuff instead.  And because I am the only person in the world that does things a certain way, I went green and grabbed all four different three packs, effectively collecting the entire new movie set excluding chases and glow-in-the-dark variants.

I wasn't sure I wanted to dive into so many at first, but these mini-figures seemed to be flying off shelves, so I figured grabbing the complete set of the commons seemed to be the best way to satisfy both urges.  Then, I shredded the packages at home and gave them all a closer look and feel.

What did I think?

If you want the spoiler alert version, I have to give these a thumbs down.  You see, the ghosts were the main attraction here, and any keshi collector remembers the classic 80's Ghostbuster action figures coming with those awesome ghost min-figures will find these are nowhere close to that.  In fact, believe it or not, these ghost are hard transparent plastic with a glow-in-the-dark stomach or something.  They left a cheap hollow feel in my hand, with only arms, antennae, and other small appendages in a solid transparent rubber.  So close, yet completely missing it in every regard.  You can see that these could have easily been keshi-like with glow guts, but something tragic happened along the way.  A huge disappointment.

The mini-figures of the Busters are okay, but that's it.  They are certainly closer to the keshi elitist benchmark, but maybe only in solid rubber material.  Doused in paint and given minor articulation, these should not be the brightest part of the packs, but are.

At the end of the day, Mattel drops the ball, possibly working a glow gimmick or toy function too hard and at the sake of the general integrity of the figure, but it's not all that bad.  Bootleggers exist in markets where big companies fail to provide, so at least these attractive and fun sculpts fall into their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment