August 25, 2016

Detective SpiderEarth Is Back On The Case! OTMFG Style!

Okay, before we dive head first into this tinfoil hat party, like only us Internet dwellers can do, let me preface this acknowledging how sensitive the phrase 'mysterious package' can be nowadays.   The media sure does love their tag lines and wordplay, but I hope I don't really have to reassure you, when I'm talking about a 'mysterious package' here, it's either related to a weird mini-figure unboxing or genitalia.  If Electric Monarchy is invited to the party, it may not be mutually exclusive.

That aside, my top two things I enjoy when it comes to keshi mini-figures are unboxing them, second, and unboxing them from mysterious packages, first, and luckily today I received one from October Toys and it had me giddy like a young school spider.

I first have to apologize.  I covered the released date for the new BrainWaves variants, both seen the picture here, and as I really enjoy the miniature and my almost complete set of it, but when this package arrived, it quickly cannibalized my attention.  I was looking forward to added previously convention exclusive miniatures to my - - - Wait a second, what is all this?!?!

That was my serious reaction.  Now, October Toys is really great about sending some extra goodies with your order.  There are usually trading cards, promotional material, and sometimes even an extra miniature.  Even with this special Joe Whiteford release, I figured the new trading card would be there, but there was a ton of extra stuff.  That's when I strapped the tin foil hat on.

This is not my first October Toys order.  I'm not sure I could give you a number, but I've tried hard not to miss one for the last few years I've been reintroduced to the keshi community.  I've received the extra goodies.  I have a collection of cards and posters.  Usually when I get the order, everything is pretty much as expected.  It's a common order that would you get from a million other stores online.  You get the product, the receipt, maybe some little goodies, and some promotional material tempting you to order again, but nothing really seems intentional.  Intentional, as in subtly trying to tell you something through puzzles and teasers.

Understand that when I opened this package, it wasn't just loose paper and minis.  Things were, at least they very much seemed, intentionally placed.  The first picture gives you a clear idea of what I mean.  Of course the Brainwaves and cards were there, and they certainly look awesome, but what is going on here with the other stuff?  It was a small black felt bag tied to a rather surprisingly high-quality key keychain.  This is what I believe the crux of this mystery and puzzle.

Of course, I'll concede to coincidence, but let me pass a few logic nuggets through you first.  Firstly, this key is not a cheap aluminum key with stickers on it.  It's a heavy duty, weathered, thing with either laser engravings or some other permanent customization of their logo and company name.  And that's what is so bizarre:  a heavy key advertising a toy company.  It's a great giveaway, but it must have been expensive to produce and to ship.  Doesn't seem very practical.  It's not a toy advertising a toy company or a key advertising a locksmith, but just as a said before.  And it was tied to this black bag. TIED!  Intentional, I'm telling you!

Never has anything ever came in with a personal knot, keeping certain items attached during the shipping process.  Really, why would there ever be a need to?  Unless it was - - - You know!  And the contents inside the mysterious black felt bag are the answer to the puzzle, but I sadly I think I'm grasping a straws further than before.  There are a couple things however.

There were three things inside the bag:  a sticker, a little round magnet, and a mini-figure.  More free goodies, sure, and I'm thankful if it was all coincidence, but I'm really not in that mind-space.  Upon closer inspection, the new Mini Gwin minifigure is not just a white variant, but more hollow and made with a hard plastic.  Unfortunately, I didn't picture it for you, but there is a hole through the bottom that reminds me of what Trash Pack does to save material, but it's certainly not PVC like other times.  It's a free miniature, so I'm not complaining about material and production, but making a mental note because I think it's meaningful.  The sticker is a shiny black sticker that plainly reads 'I Play With Toys' which had roots with Toy Break.  It's not something terribly strange or uncommon, but I think this too means something.  Finally, the last piece is this small button magnet.  This might sound crazy, but uncovering the meaning of this magnet is the answer we are all looking for.  Looking at this magnet, it has a blue-skinned monster character on it, and I do not recognize it.  I have no idea what it's referencing.  It's not from their toy lines, at least as far as I know, and it only resembles George in glasses alone, so it's not even a caricature of sorts either.  It could be a random fun present from a magnet/button sponsor, but it reads the October Toys website on the edge.

So, taking this all in, here is where my brain is.  This was all a teaser for a new toy line being announced soon.  The white Mini Gwin is a hard, hollow, plastic like a board game piece.  The sticker suggest this could be something you don't necessarily collect and display, but also play with.  The magnet, the answer to it all, I feel is a picture of a character from the new toy line, whoever it is.  October Toys has been working on an collectible, customizable, action figure game, and I think with the success of Battle Tribes this summer, I think they might be thinking it's time.

Crazy Uncle SpiderEarth thinks Dimentoids are on their way.

But what do you think?  Share your experiences and thoughts below!

No comments:

Post a Comment