October 6, 2014

Purist Ramblings: Resin!

I know this isn't an issue for most people, and really, I can't wait for it to stop being an issue with me.  I just don't know.  I understand how awesome and available resin is for people, especially for start-up artists that don't have the funds or hook-ups for a PVC line.  I get it that there's a million and one reasons I should like resin figures more.... but I just don't.  Yet is the word I hope to finish that sentence with very soon.

I think it all falls back to my purist beliefs on what is/isn't keshi and what would make it in my personal collection.  I went through it briefly before. I think it was my first impressions on Mutant Mania.  I think all collectors have certain guidelines on what they collect.  Some are looser than others, and that's completely cool.  I know I can't say I have the strictest.  Even I have some odd exceptions, but still, I think my unreasonable opinions on resin are based on that.

It ultimately is a nostalgia thing, I believe.  For me, if I can look at a keshi line and immediate think, 'yeah, that could totally pass as a 80's/90's minifigure line' then you're likely to be collected.  For me, things like size, paint, and articulation are things I look for in keshi, but material is not far behind either.

One thing that is attached to my nostalgia, along with the other things I mentioned, was the give in the plastic or rubber.  Most if not all of the classic lines were made of a softer material than you find in your standard action figure hard plastic.  So soft sometimes they were often nicknamed eraser figures.  Resin figures hold every other standard of a perfect keshi, but that.  Resin is rock hard and brittle.  If dropped from the right height, it could even shatter.

It really does pain me to admit this, which is why I hope I have a change of mind soon, because I know there are a lot of awesome artists with really great ideas.  I am more than excited to see what they come up with and to follow their exploits.  Resin figures is the first step of making it as a toy designer, and supporting them here is what will ensure they'll see a proper PVC release.

Right now, I am lucky to have some really rare resin minifigures from some independent artists.  The sculpts are awesome and the craftsmanship is topnotch.  Even still, they are kept in a different collection - separate from my keshi.

One day, resin.  One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment